If you’ve been wondering how you’ll get through self isolation with your close to none cooking skills or you’re just looking to minimise your time in the kitchen, here’s one tomato paste you can make, freeze and use for an array of recipes.
2 kilograms of fresh tomatoes. One hour. A jar full of freezer friendly paste. It’s go time.
What you will need –
- Tomatoes – 2 kgs, (deseeded, chopped)
- Garlic – 7-8 cloves
- Rosemary – 1 sprig
- Ghee/peanut oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash, deseed and chop tomatoes
- To a large baking tray, add tomatoes, ghee/oil, salt, garlic and rosemary. Stir well to combine
- Roast at 200 degree celsius for 40 mins
- Let cool and blend to make a smooth paste
- Store in the fridge for 4-5 days or freeze for up to a month
Here are some ways you can use this tomato paste/sauce
- Blend it with some vegetable stock to make a quick sauce or soup
- Use as the base for shakshouka (breakfast baked eggs)
- Cook with lentil and beans to make a wholesome stew
- Add finely chopped mushrooms or minced meat and cheese to make quick bolognese
- Use as base for meatballs, cabbage rolls, chicken thighs, sautéed veggies
- Mix with red wine for a robust gravy with grilled chicken/vegetables
- Add butter and cream to make 30 min butter chicken
- Use as pizza sauce or for calzones or lasagnas
You can also find me on Instagram for more easy recipes.