Overripe, squishy, spotty bananas are just banana bread that you haven’t made yet. And since everyone seems to have over ripe bananas at the moment, I thought it’s the perfect time to add a slightly different banana bread recipe.
What you will need –
- Bananas – 4 medium, over-ripe
- Egg – 1 large
(For Vegan option – mix 1 tablespoon flaxseed powder with 2.5 tablespoons of water)
- Light oil – 2 tablespoons (vegetable/canola)
- Light coconut milk – 1/2 cup
(Sub with any other milk for non-coconut version)
- Zest of 1 lime
- Lime juice – 3 tablespoons
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Whole wheat flour – 1/2 cup
- Oat flour – 1/2 cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Honey – 1/2 cup (Adjust to taste)
- Preheat oven for 160°C.
- Mash together the 4 bananas in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg, oil, coconut milk, lime zest and juice, and honey (if you like your bread on the sweet side) into the mashed bananas. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until completely incorporated.
- Grease a 9×5 loaf pan with oil/butter. Pour batter into pan. Slice a banana length-wise and top the batter (optional).
- Bake for 60-75 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from middle. Let cool on a rack before slicing.
Storage notes –
Once cooled, store in an airtight box in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you make this recipe, you know the drill: Let me know!